The Ultimate Trampoline Buying Guide
Trampoline purchase checklist is the first thing you should go through before buying a trampoline. This is a must to be able to save your family/kids from injuries later. So, you have read the reviews on the top 6 trampolines available in the market. There are certain features that make each of the trampolines best, Buying a trampoline is a major investment and is not like buying a toy. You have to consider the features, the size, the safety level and plenty of other things prior to making any purchase. So, here you will find a buying guide for a trampoline.
Consider your needs Before you buy any trampoline, you must ask a series of questions to yourself and weigh your needs:
- What age group will people use the trampoline?
- What is the height and weight of the users and for how long they will use?
- Are the kids still growing?
- What is the size of the backyard?
- What is the budget? Low price trampolines are also available for the ones who want some trampoline priced lower. But, buying a bigger and nicer trampoline is always beneficial. There are offers and deals you can look for.
- How will the trampoline be used? If the trampoline is to be used by tumblers, gymnasts, it will have a different sort of making and model. If any of such persons uses the trampoline, they will need a different trampoline.
Points to look for in the trampoline
- The quality of the frame of trampoline matters a lot. The frame actually offers support and can hold the device together. You must make sure that the frame is of high quality frame and is durable. It will be better if you choose a frame which is galvanized since the galvanized frame is rust resistant and durable.
- Look for a jumping device which can support or handle easily the weight of the jumper. In case, more than one person jumps in the trampoline, you will need a device with more of weight capacity
- Look for only durable springs since the springs give the device the much needed bounce. Make sure the trampoline does not use poor quality spring since that can be hazardous. If the spring is of low quality and collapses or breaks, there can be serious accident. Buy a trampoline featuring rust-resistance and that which carries durable springs.
- Padding is the critical safety feature that you need to look for in the trampoline device. By chance the springs are not padded, there can be accidents. The unpadded spring can injure the user and even the legs and arms may get stuck between the springs. Such potential injuries can be prevented only when your trampoline device has adequate padding.
- Safety enclosure is another must-have feature in the trampoline which can save the jumpers from injuring themselves. It will prevent the user from flying off the trampoline and landing on the springs and frames.
Steps to be taken for care and maintenance
Since trampolines are a major investment, you need to take some steps to save it from probable damages. As per the brand, the size and the shape of the trampoline, you need to consider the safety measures. Any high quality trampoline can give you decades of service only when you take care of it and maintain it. Follow the below steps to ensure that your trampoline lasts for a long time:
- Use proper trampoline cover to safeguard your jumping mat from elements like leaves, birds’ droppings and animals.
- Ask the user to stay away from the padded edges that carry the springs underneath. If you allow the users to sit, walk, stand or jump on the padded edges, the padding and the springs will deteriorate at a much faster pace.
- When using the trampoline, the user must use proper socks while jumping on the mat. This will prevent trampoline padding from any damage and keep the trampoline clean. You must often clean the dust and dirt settling on the trampoline. Use only broom or brush to do that.
It is important to make purchases of trampoline only from a reputed manufacturer. The seller must be popular and reputed. If you can ensure this, you will have a well designed and high quality trampoline. Even the replacement parts will be easily available.
Save yourself from injuries Trampolines are safe in every respect but still you need to follow certain steps to prevent injuries. Just like in case of other physical activities, here also while using trampolines, you need to take certain precautions:
- When you buy a trampoline, it will come with an instruction manual. You should read it carefully prior to using the trampoline. Make sure you assemble the trampoline properly.
- When using a trampoline or while jumping, you should have some spotter on the ground to monitor probable dangers. If he is alert enough to spot the dangers, the injury can be prevented.
What is safety on the trampoline?
Trampoline safety means following the rules to avoid injury. A trampoline can be dangerous if used improperly. Injuries that can occur on a trampoline include sprains, broken bones, head injuries, bruising and cuts. Injuries commonly occur when a child falls off a trampoline or when it is hit with another person on the trampoline.
What are some safety rules for the trampoline?
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that no trampolines be used in the home. If you have a trampoline in your home, the following rules will help make your trampoline as safe as possible. Explain the rules to all new friends who come to jump on the trampoline. Teach your child to remind his friends of the rules every time they jump.
- Always stay with the children while jumping on the trampoline. The supervision of an adult is necessary for safety on the trampoline. The adult must ensure that children follow all safety rules. Any child who does not follow the rules should not be allowed to use the trampoline.
- Allow only one person to use the trampoline at a time. This will prevent injuries of 2 people hitting each other.
- Do not allow children to practice somersaults or acrobatics. These could lead to head or neck injuries. Tell them to try to stay in the center of the trampoline while they jump. Do not let anyone jump from another structure to the trampoline. Do not let anyone jump or jump from the trampoline.
- Keep children under 6 years of age away from the trampoline. Keep the stairs away from the trampoline. This will prevent young children from getting on the trampoline.
- Make sure the fences and doors leading to the patio and trampoline are locked. This could prevent children from jumping on the trampoline when you are not present to supervise them.
- Place a safety mesh around the trampoline. This could help avoid falls, but do not depend on it to avoid accidents.
- Use a safety mat. Make sure that the springs, hooks and frame are protected with a safety mat. Inspect the cover frequently to make sure it is not broken or that there are no metal parts in sight. Also check frequently if there are broken parts or if there are loose hooks.
What should I do if a child is injured on the trampoline?
Keep calm. If the injury appears to be mild, such as a small cut, get a first aid kit and take care of the injury. If you think the child may have a neck, back, or head injury, ask someone to call 911. Do not try to move the child. If there are other children with you, ask other adults to help you monitor them. Stay with the injured child until help arrives.
AGREEMENTS ON YOUR CARE:
You have the right to participate in planning your child’s care. Find out about your child’s health condition and how it can be treated. Discuss treatment options with your child’s doctor to decide what care you want for him or her. This information is used only for educational purposes. Your intention is not to give medical advice about diseases or treatments. Consult your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to find out if it is safe and effective for you.
If you are looking to exercise in a fun manner, you need only a trampoline. Before buying any trampoline, do substantial researches and find more about the features you are getting in the trampoline. Consider your needs and only then you must make purchases. You must consider the reviews on trampoline posted here.